The Best Lightweight Rain Jackets for Runners in 2021
A lightweight rain jacket is often a good idea to bring along for a longer run out on the trails or in the mountains. They are also mandatory equipment for many ultras from multi stage races to mountain races like UTMB. We collected some favorite lightweight jackets for runners below:
- Raidlight HyperLight MP+ waterproof jacket (85g / 3oz): incredibly lightweight running jacket, HyperLight MP+ membrane with 20K/25K waterproof and breathability rating, $220
- Arcteryx Novan SL (110g / 3.88oz): lightweight breathable running jacket, GoreTex Shakedry fabric, $325
- Salomon S/Lab Motionfit 360 jacket (156g / 5.5oz): Pertex Shield membrane jacket with 20K/20K rating that rolls down into waistband for quick storage on the go, $375
- Salomon Bonatti Race Waterproof jacket (110g /3.88oz): minimalist lightweight jacket with 10K/10K rating. Less breathable than other options above, but a good option at a much lower price point of $160.
While not completely waterproof, wind jackets can be a great option for weather protection while running and are often more breathable. They might not be ideal for long runs in pouring rain or cold storms, but they are often a great choice in mixed weather with short rain showers and for wind protection in the mountains. A few good minimalist and lightweight options:
- Raidlight Hyperlight Windproof jacket (60g / 2.1oz)
- Arcteryx Incendo Hoody (4.6oz)
- Patagonia Houdini jacket (4oz)
- Montebell Tachyon jacket (66g / 2.3oz)
Do you have other favorites we didn’t mention? Please share them in the comments.
Related: Best Trail Running Shoes of 2021