From Roman Gladiators to vegetarians and meat eaters – in this podcast episode, we discover how diet can affect our strength and endurance.
This episode features audio from The Gladiator Diet: How Vegetarian Athletes Stack Up, The First Studies on Vegetarian Athletes, and Vegetarian Muscle Power, Strength, & Endurance.
Regardless of your underlying diet, there are certain foods that may help enhance athletic performance and recovery:
- Reducing Muscle Fatigue with Citrus
- Reducing Muscle Soreness with Berries
- Preventing Exercise-Induced Oxidative Stress with Watercress
- “Veg-Table” Dietary Nitrate Scoring Method
- Fennel Seeds to Improve Athletic Performance
- Coconut Water for Athletic Performance vs. Sports Drinks
- Foods to Improve Athletic Performance & Recovery
- Ground Ginger to Reduce Muscle Pain
- Enhanced Athletic Recovery without Undermining Adaptation
- Watermelon for Sore Muscle Relief
Michael Greger, M.D.
PS: If you haven’t yet, you can subscribe to my free videos here and watch my live presentations:
- 2019: Evidence-Based Weight Loss
- 2016: How Not To Die: The Role of Diet in Preventing, Arresting, and Reversing Our Top 15 Killers
- 2015: Food as Medicine: Preventing and Treating the Most Dreaded Diseases with Diet
- 2014: From Table to Able: Combating Disabling Diseases with Food
- 2013: More Than an Apple a Day
- 2012: Uprooting the Leading Causes of Death